With California avocados at their peak during the summer holiday season, the California Avocado Commission has partnered with Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger to share ideas on how to incorporate the fruit into summertime meals. Whether it’s for the 4th of July, Labor Day or any barbeque in between, California avocados add a delicious flavor and texture to get-together dishes.
California produces approximately 90 percent of the nation’s avocado crop on nearly 5,000 family farms in central and southern California. These hand grown California avocados are in season from spring through fall.
While California-grown avocados are widely acknowledged for their exceptional flavor, the fruit also offers an array of nutritional benefits. California avocados contain nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients with the greatest concentration in the dark green fruit closest to the peel. To get to the nutrient-rich fruit directly under the peel, simply nick and peel the skin from the avocado.
Downtown Disney has teamed up with the California Avocado Commission to present the second annual California Avocado Week at Downtown Disney. To kick off the celebration of American Summer Holidays and the 4th of July, Downtown Disney and California Avocado Commission are hosting free chef demos and a guacamole contest that is free to the public.
Each day, and continuing through July 7, a chef from one of Downtown Disney’s premiere restaurants will take center stage, demonstrating culinary creations starring fresh California avocados, which are in season now. Attendees will be invited to taste the featured dish.
- Sunday, July 1 Chef Meyer, House of Blues, California Avocado and Blue Cheese Crusted Rib Eye
- Monday, July 2 Chef Thomas Keaveny, ESPN Zone, Mini California Avocado Shrimp Clubs and Grilled Chicken California Avocado Wrap
- Tuesday, July 3 Chef Dore Sommer, Rainforest Café, Awesome Appetizer Adventure and Guacamole Burger
- Wednesday, July 4 Chef Alejandro Reyna, La Brea Bakery, Shrimp and Salsa Stuffed California Avocado and Turkey California Avocado Sandwich
- Thursday, July 5 Chef Darrin Finkel, Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, Fried Green Tomato BLT with California Avocado and Jazz Kitchen French Quarter Salad with California Avocado
- Friday, July 6 Chef Jose Estrada, Tortilla Jo’s, Ceviche de Huauchinango Shots and Shrimp and California Avocado Enchiladas
- Saturday, July 7 Chef Nick Weber, Catal Restaurant, Tartare of Hamachi with Shisho, Micro Cilantro and California Avocado and Jalapeno Sorbet
On July 2nd, select media were invited to watch the cooking demonstrations and guacamole contest. After the public event, the media was invited for a special dinner at Catal’s Restaurant which featured dishes prepared with fresh California Avocados and wine pairings. Here are some pictures from the special event (photos taken by Chris Mansker):